It’s easy to isolate a verse and make it say something you want it to say. It’s more difficult to read it in context and receive that trans- forming truth. That’s the heart of what Jay Payleitner has done in this book.
- Chris Fabry, Award-winning author and host of “Chris Fabry Live” on the Moody Network
Jay Payleitner has always had a wonderful way of teaching pro- found truths in a way that is fun, instructive, and life changing. Read The Next Verse and you will go places and discover truths that will impact how you think about God and His revelations and how you live your life.
- Steve Brown, Professor, broadcaster on “Key Life Network,” and best-selling author of Three Free Sins and Lament: The Radical Freedom of Joy and Sorrow
We’ve seen some Bible verses so often we stop seeing them. But Jay dares us to trade in bumper sticker theology for something much better: an authentic pondering of God’s holy Word. We need this book!
- Jon Gauger, Producer/host on Moody Radio and author of Kids Say the Wisest Things
One of Jesus’s favorite utterances went like this: “You have heard it said...but I tell you....” That’s what Jay Payleitner does in his newest book by examining the context of 60 popular Bible verses. Three pages in you say to yourself, “WOW, that’s amazing! I never saw that.” Well, that just happened to me 60 times. The Next Verse is a rare gem with insight I’ll be thinking about for a long time.
- David Murrow, The Online Preaching Coach and author of Why Men Hate Going to Church
Ministers, teachers, and authors love to disseminate a wealth of information while often failing miserably at revealing the true con- text and valuable applications of the Bible verses they tag on to prove their point. In The Next Verse, Jay Payleitner shares keen insights that will not only surprise you but encourage you to go deeper into the true meaning and ultimate goal of God’s Word— transforming us into the image of Jesus Christ. It’s time to stop skimming the surface of Scripture and explore the rich treasures that await, so you may join the psalmist in saying, “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (Psalm 119:103).
- Kay Horner, Executive Director, Awakening America Alliance
I recently read a version of the Bible that had no chapters or verse numbers. It was difficult at first, but I soon learned to appreciate the text even more, unencumbered by divisions. Jay’s book is so helpful in the same way. Reading Scripture this way forces us to open up our minds in light of the larger passage!
- Wayne Shepherd, Nationally-known Christian radio host
Jay Payleitner must have been mentored by Bobb Biehl who shares, “Nothing is meaningful without context!” This book instantly drew me in when I realized most of us can quote several favorite Scripture verses, but almost none of us can share from memory the verses immediately preceding or following! Thank you, Jay, for giving all of us the gift of “context” in your fascinating new book The Next Verse.
- Bob Tiede, Cru U.S. Leadership Development Team, author of five books including 339 Questions Jesus Asked!, and blogger at LeadingWithQuestions.com
When I first read the title, I said to myself, Okay, this isn’t anything new. Then, I read the first chapter, then the next, and finally, the entire book. I was wrong—very wrong! I couldn’t wait to read the “next verse” in every chapter. There’s a wealth of wisdom for moms, dads, civic leaders, businesspeople and even pastors. The Next Verse is packed full of transformative insight while being fun to read. Thanks, Jay! You’ve listened to the Scriptures and done well.
- Steve Hefta, Strategic Account Manager, Marketplace Chaplains
Jay Payleitner has given us a fascinating take on popular Bible verses. It shows just how talented of a writer he is and a brilliant Bible apologist. This book is an important read whether you are a pastor, lay person, or theologian.
- Rick Johnson, best-selling author of That’s My Son and Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
The Next Verse is a gift to anyone yearning to know more about God. Without preaching at us or making us feel guilty or dumb, Jay Payleitner makes one principle of biblical interpretation easy and fun, and lowers our chances of misinterpreting the Bible.
- Dr. Clarence Shuler, President/CEO, BLR: Building Lasting Relationships
Randomly ripping a verse out of the Bible is like changing lanes on the interstate without looking over your shoulder at your blindspots. In this nifty book, Payleitner reminds us of the full 360 degree “surround sound” perspective of famous biblical land- scapes. Read it, and your scriptural driving will be a lot more fun and safe!
- Dr. Emmett Cooper, author of The HoneyWord Bible for kids of all ages; founder and president of HoneyWord Foundation